Thursday, May 21, 2009

The continuation of Venice and a sampling of Rome

When I last left you with the tales of Venice I had just joined a group of Tennessee Volunteers graduates and was about to head off with them around the city. We went back to St. Marks as I had done the previous day, but what I did not do the day before was climb up the bell tower, which we all proceeded to do. It led to awesome views of the city and the potential for future ear problems as the bell went off as we were all up there taking pictures and checking out the labyrinth below. It rang for seemingly 10 minutes, probably more around the 2 range, but as soon as it ended it was time to head off down to the rest of the world. From there we headed down to watch the people feed the rats of the sky. I never got into the feeding pigeons thing, but a few of them wanted to do it so I observed wondering the disease potential for pigeons climbing all over you and eating from you. There was one missing a toe that fell in love with one of the group, standing on his shoulder, pecking at his ear, it seemed kind of romantic, but eventually the pigeon got creepy and had to be broken up with. We then headed to the Rialto and the other major sites of the city just to take some pictures and enjoy the ambiance of Venice. I grabbed some pizza on the streets for a quick bite, everyone else got some gelato for lunch, but I felt I needed some substance to my meal. We eventually headed back to the hostel to relax for a couple hours, some to take naps and others to do whatever they would like.

I went to the train station to get my ticket to Rome for the next day and do my favorite getting lost in the city act. I semi knew how to get back to my hostel at that point, but still took a while to actually get on back. I picked up some gelato to hold me over until dinner time and headed back. We all met up again and attempted to find a grocery store and meet up with the others who were already walking around. We finally found the correct store and got some stuff. I got water and of course some cheese for the train ride. Supermarket cheese isnt nearly as good as it is from the random street markets (though still often better than the States), but the parm was still nice to have for the next day. We walked back to the hostel where they were serving dinner for the night. Apparently I'm an animal because by the time people were finishing their first bowl of the shells and sauce we were divied up I already had engulfed my second. It was a good dinner, a lot of people from the hostel joined in adding to the crew created for the evening. There was also a bit of an item that wanted to claim the title of pizza, but unfortunately it didnt earn the title, especially in Italy. There was also some box wine at the dinner, better than box wine in the states, but box wine in Italy just does not seem right! One thing that did catch my attention at dinner, however, was when I mentioned basketball asking some Tennessee fans what happened this year to their team. I completely meant mens basketball, but instead the womens team was brought up in discussion. I was semi shocked, I mean I know that is the epitomy of womens basketball at that place, but come on, always assume mens sports when someone asks!

When dinner was complete we headed out to St. Marks again where the area lights up at night and numerous bands play classical music for people sitting at the restaurants nearby. It kind of seemed like a giant competition amongst all of them. We just sat and watched everyone striking up conversation. I talked to someone from Chicago who had joined up with us for a while about that city, since one of the people was moving there and a bunch of other random midwest things. We then pretty much all headed in around midnight. Was a fun, but pretty uneventful night. The next morning I woke up to head to the train station. The others joined me on my trek there as they were headed to Verona for the day. For those continuing on to Rome in a couple days we decided we would figure out a way to meet up while there. I then got on my train and headed on my way.

It was about a 4 hour train ride to Rome full of pringles and cheese for myself. I was surrounded by three Italians. One who looked like Howie Mandel, and a mother and son combo that were kind of annoying. The kid was probably a few years younger than me, but when you are sitting on a train in those table type seats there isnt a ton of leg room, meaning dont stretch out your fucking legs and take up my personal space. I would move my legs sharply every once in a while to kick them away, but was probably the most uncomfortable of my train adventures thus far. I then headed to my hostel, was easy to find right by the train station, which was a nice change. I got in there and it seemed like a possible shady place. I checked in, got to my room, which was a lot nicer than expected and had to go to the internet cafe because the one time I actually needed wireless not for my own obsession compulsions, but to meet up with people, both my cousins Randy and Cari who were to meet me the next day and the Rocky Top kids I didn't have it. I sent emails out to a bunch of people, hoping all the meeting up stuff would work and inadvertently stressed myself out about it.

From there I grabbed my ipod and walked straight to the Trevi Fountain with as many coins as I could find to wish upon the Roman Gods what I sought in life. It was a bit dreary out and drizzling, but that didn't stop me and my Lizzie Mcguire Movie flash back moments of throwing in the coins, opening my eyes, and maybe finding an Italian star to fall for (just kidding). It didn't happen, but I got some fun pictures, and did as they asked, threw in the 2 coins for the whole you'll find love scenario, as well as the one extra to make sure I safely return back to Rome one day. From there I proceeded to spoil myself with my first real meal of the day, I went to a nice little Italian restaurant and took down some pasta and a napoletean pizza, topped with some very solid anchovies. I then decided to walk around Rome and see where it took me. Apparently my heart was set on the Spanish steps as I ended up there initally. I went to the top, took some pictures and then headed off. Little did I know I would end up back at the steps 6 more times that night completed lost in my own circle. It was daylight the first time I was at the steps, but 2 through 6 it was dark. I sat on the steps about the 4th time for a while, right by two dudes who looked like they either play basketball in Europe or used to in the NBA, both around 6'5 or so. I listened into their conversation of going back to school one day, the NBA draft process, and life. There is no doubt in my mind at least one of them played for a basketball team. I actually saw them about 4 other times, 3 that night and once the next day walking. They probably thought I was stalking them. So by the 6th time I was at the Spanish steps I realized it wasn't worth the effort of trying to walk back, so I took the metro and called it a night. I got back to my room around 11 and to my surprise, no roommates! For the first time in 30 some days I was alone, a nice change, especially since I already had people to meet with in Rome, thus the meeting people thing not nearly as important as other cities. I went to sleep that night anticipating the days ahead, no longer stressed, and slept pretty well for once.

I woke up the next morning to a knock on my door, they deliver breakfast to your room, which was semi-exciting to me, but a lot more disappointing than I thought it would be. Just some really weird jelly filled croissant wanna be, coffee, and orange juice. I then headed off to the internet cafe to make sure nothing changed in meeting up with the cousins and waste some time for an hour or so. Plus I wanted to make sure I had the right address to actually find their hotel, was only about 10 minutes away. I hadn't heard from anybody so it looked good for the day and I headed off. I walked around a bit by their hotel just checking everything out. It was a beautiful day weatherwise, much better than the day before with a lot of sun. Around 11:15 I officially headed over to their hotel and for the first time in a long time familiar faces graced my presence. It was something I was really excited for, was not home sick, but always good to see people you know.

Their flight had just arrived a couple hours previously, so naturally they were quite starving and a bit tired. We immediately started our first mission of looking for a place that had been touted as having the best pizza ever. Randy took over the controls and weaved us in and out of streets seeking out Da Baffeto, a place that many dubbed as a top location. We struggled to find it at first, clearly the fatigue must have hindered his abilities to read a map, but finally after we all reached the point of starvation, we arrived. The problem was Da Baffeto was closed, luckily it's sequel, Da Baffeto 2 was open about 5 minutes away. We arrived there to a sea of empty tables, adding doubt to the claim of best pizza ever. At that point we were all quite famished and took the chance anyway. I went with the garbage pizza, well it was their specialty pizza, but it pretty much had every item known to man on there including, but not limited to, an egg, sausage, onions, olives (which although Im not a fan, they are truly better and a lot more tolerable in Italy) and a whole load of other crap I can't remember. I took out with ease to continue my animalistic eating tendencies. In the end it wasn't the best pizza ever, but did have plenty of upside including the extremely large size. It was more of the thinner crust variety, quite crunchy, but not as full of a pizza as some of the others because of that. From there we were headed to "the best gelato place," this was more believable as both Cari and Randy had previously taste tested Giolitti numerous times. We scoured the streets for a bit working off some of the pizza just eaten and finally arrived. This time the case was made that this was perhaps the best gelato out there. I went with After Eight (mint chocolate chip) and strawberry as well as topped with some of their crazy fresh cream they douse it with. The whole combination, including the chocolate dipped cone exceeded expectations with the freshness and flavors that burst out of the gelato.

Once the food portion of our tour was complete we headed over to the Pantheon (this actually may have happened before the gelato, but I dont have any sense of time or the order of events anymore) and we took some pictures there, I checked out for the first and it was definitely an incredible sight. The way that building was created, the fact that the Vatican even kept it, albeit turn it into a church (since they usually liked to destroy old Roman stuff back in the day) and just the general structure make it quite an incredible sight. After a few pictures headed over to the trevi fountain so they could make their wishes of returning to Rome, as did I, cause you can never give away too much money to a fountain that creates so much harmony in the world. Then we decided to take a stroll to the Vatican. We walked there with no problem and I got to see it for the first time, it is definitely an impressive sight. Finally it was getting later in the afternoon and being that neither of them slept, so after we would walk back we were going to split up for a few hours. We took a different route than we had walked there so we could pass the synaguouge and check out another part of Rome. The only unfortunate part is this was apparently the allergic route as well. We all started sneezing, getting the watery eyes, and struggled with the wind blow those tiny little annoying tree things in our eyes. It was quite the fight to make it back and it wasn't just us as many others we passed by found themselves in the same predicament. We finally escaped the treachery and they made it back to their hotel. I walked around and finally went back to my hostel for an hour after they went back. Still had no roommates, which was exciting and laid around for a bit. Finally around 6 I got back up, walked around some more and finally met up again with them for dinner. Their hotel had recommended some place to eat, so we went there. It was pretty good. I went with the veal shank (I forget what its called here, crazy languages) and we drank wine and relaxed. It was good, I definitely enjoyed the bit of bone marrow that graced my plate inside the bone as well. Afterwards we went to the Spanish steps, my favorite nightly hang out, and looked at the city for a bit. It was highlighted with being approached by the classic flower guy. One of my favorite ways to rid them is speak gibrish. Randy joined along with me and the guy started asking where we came from, he answered Paraguay and I still have no idea why. After the man finally went away we called it a night so they could wake up early and continue on their trip to another part of Italy. I still had no roommates for the night, which was fantastic, and slept decently until I woke up to the sounds of glass breaking and yelling by the insane people outside my hostel. These being the same people who sell the purses, alcohol to minors on the Spanish steps, and fake merchandise all over the place, I hate them with a passion.

With that I must end my Rome update to be continued at a later time, I am actually back in Rome for the evening for a little deja vu and remeeting up with the cousins. I fly to Athens tomorrow for my last stop on the trip, for all I know they still believe in the Greek Gods and there was no God of internet so I'm not sure if I will be able to update from there with the rest of Rome and the stories of Florence, including how my hostel thought I went missing, I even have the email from them asking where the hell I am, but fear not Benjie Klein is still here and never was missing. If I am unable to update, the rest will come when I arrive home, plus this gives people a bit of time to catch up. For all those slacking and thinking when I get home I will tell them everything about my trip, the joke is on them, I don't remember anything and will have to read this myself to catch up on what the fuck has happened in the past 2 months.

Peace out peeps

BK

1 comment:

Andy said...

I LOVED the Spanish Steps! And hey, was the basketball player Brandon Jennings by any chance? He played for Roma this past year, and is entering the draft this year.

I also loved the pantheon, and of course the Vatican was a site to see! Oh, and the gelato place, it really is the best!