Friday, March 6, 2009

Gettin lost to find my way to get lost again

When I arrived in Denver on Wednesday I took the easiest drive of my life to Boulder. It was a very simple drive, simple directions, I imagined the whole state to be set up like this, I turned out to be quite wrong. Around 4 p.m after I was all checked in to my hotel I decided with the weather a solid 75 and sunny I'd take a walk around campus. I had a general idea of what buildings I was looking for, so I figured it couldn't be that bad. The campus is right next to the hotel, that wasn't hard to find, but once I stepped through I felt like I was in that Sonic dreamland where he's spinning around trying to find the ring. I knew the basic direction of where I was going, but then decided to get fancy, I saw an open walkway and took that instead. I walked and walked, passing the same buildings every 15 minutes, realizing I just went in a complete circle numerous times. I didn't want to look like a lost kid on a college campus, so I just kept on walking, trying to glance at the campus maps around the school without actually stopping to check them out. Finally I thought I caught a break, there are a lot of "underground" tunnels at this campus, which is pretty exciting and this one was no exception. I thought it may be one of the ones by my hotel, but I was quite wrong. It turned out to be the exact opposite direction, but it led me to where all the food, bars, and random college stores existed. I was starved since I hadn't eaten since early and it was already 5:30, my legs were killing me from walking, and most importantly if I did end up going here I need some solid college fast food. I went to a grilled sub place, I forgot the name, but I was satisfied. This was until I realized I still had no idea how to get back to my hotel. The sun was starting to go down so I began walking again. This time I thought I had it figured out, I kept walking and walking and even found the Journalism building, which would've been good except I didn't actually know where it was. By this time it was getting dark, there was a CU basketball game starting in about 30 minutes (I wanted to attend at first, but realized the pain from walking for 2 hours was starting to work it's way in) and I still had no clue where I was going. Around 7 p.m I got smart, I followed everyone to the basketball stadium since I knew it was by my hotel, found the fancy tunnel and I finally was led to where I needed to be. I had walked about 8 miles in those 3 hours, it was real nice campus at least and I had a slight idea of where I needed to go the next day. After getting some late night dinner, I passed out immediately.

Yesterday I woke up early, I was going to check out the campus with an actual tour, just so I would know where to go for a meeting I had scheduled that afternoon. This was one of the buildings it originally took me over 2 hours to find. I walked in and talked to the tour chick, she essentially told me to take the self tour and the info/tour was too based on freshman so wasn't worth it for me. Luckily she handed me a map for this time and I did my own thing. I felt after the campus and I got to know each other better the day before it would be smooth sailing. Shockingly it was and I started to enjoy my surroundings. I was walking around campus confident with where I was going, but then it happened. I heard someone walking in the distance with a faint voice. I was stopped at a light waiting to cross and this acne faced white student stands beside me with his ipod blaring. A moment later the kid started singing and he wasn't very good. Top that with the depressing lyrics associated with whatever he was trying to make out, probably not the best forum, save it for your car. I didn't want to laugh at him so I walked faster than he could, but he kept getting louder! Finally I turned off the road, the singing went from funny to loud and annoying. I'll be the first to admit I've been caught many times screaming songs from my room, whether it be at the old ZBT house or 266 Durand, or even sing quietly walking down the road, but the yelling in the middle of campus means you're an attention whore.

After my self tour, I was confident enough in my campus abilities that I felt there was something missing. I kept reading about a "Pearl Street Mall" and had no idea where or what it was. I decided I'd check that out for lunch. I grabbed the car at the hotel and drove to where it was located, about 5 minutes past campus. It's the downtown Boulder area and was pretty nice. I had read about a place called Illegal Petes, specializing in the college style burrito, as I ventured through the streets I found my destination. I was satisfied, I enjoyed the atmosphere of that place and Pearl street and it's shops in general. That was until the burrito realized it didn't like me. The classic tale of having to take a dump with no bathroom around had hit. I decided I'd go back to my car, which would've been awesome if I knew where the parking structure was. I feverishly walked up and down the streets, finally remembering which road had my structure. I was losing hope when I turned to my right and I was actually at the structure. I ran, got in to my car and felt relieved, I started driving in the structure and realized I couldn't find an exit. This was a fucked up design, it just kept going up, it was a 2 way ramp, you had to exit the exact same way you came in, I didn't realize that until I reached the roof. I contemplated just flooring it to see if I could land on the street, but I turned around and finally made my way out. I knew how to get back to my hotel, but it seemed the road was longer than I remembered. I almost turned off to try to find my way through, but I stuck it out and found how to get back to my hotel. About a minute away the stomach problems subsided, like the eye before the storm. I parked the car, got out and then it was on. I ran to my room, and my fucking key didn't work. I had the pre-shit sweats going looking flustered no doubt as I ran down to the front desk and told them my key for some reason didn't work anymore. The guy took his time punching in numbers, finally got the key to work, I jetted back to my room, the key worked, I entered and you can figure out the rest for yourself.

After that rousing experience I had to go to my meeting with the grad coordinator. I walked around the building talking with her, it was nothing too exciting. After I decided I'd take advantage of one of the many fields around campus and read under the sun with my ipod. I only had a couple hours because I wanted to attend the Nuggets game and any chance of a random cute girl coming up to me inviting me over because of my boyish good looks had subsided. I did my thing and headed back to the hotel.

I left about 6 p.m for the game that was slated for 8:30, they said (and by they, I mean my iphone) it would take about 35 minutes, but I figured I could check out a little of Denver. The ride down to Denver was simple, until I got near what I thought was the arena. I tried to understand the directions, but apparently I did a poor job. In fact I ended up at Mile High Stadium, home of the Denver Broncos. It was only about 6:40 by that point though, so i figured I had plenty of time. I rerouted my iphone and continued to reroute my iphone for the next 20 minutes until I finally had directions that I could figure out. This time it called for a different exit on the expressway, I took it, followed the road around and had arrived at the Pepsi Center. I quickly parked at the first lot I saw, bought my ticket and stood in line to enter. Apparently they don't open the gates until an hour before.

The game itself was a blowout, Nuggets dominated. The woman next to me owned seats 2 and 3, I had seat one. She didn't seem too thrilled I was sitting there. She talked to me briefly asking my story, once I told her I'd be cheering for the Nuggets and was a fan of Chauncey I figured she'd be excited. It didn't work out that way as she immediately turned away. I got the impression that seat 1 was open 90% of the time and that the woman umm needed the extra room. I heard her talking about the season tickets from the year before where she had to move back a couple rows for more leg room this year, I'm just saying. I got a "bigger, better hot dog" for dinner there, it was solid, got to choose your own toppings. It was a very nice arena, beer was cheap compared to other stadiums though I chose not to partake with the amount I had gotten myself lost the past 2 days. I left about 2 minutes before the game ended, the Nuggets were up 15 and they had taken out all the stars at that point. I was terrified I wouldn't find my car, but I did with ease, drove back to the hotel and figured it'd be smooth sailing the rest of the way. I got back around 12, went in my pocket and my room key was missing. The kid working the desk was a bit out of it, but after about 10 minutes got me a new key.

Overall (and now that I've learned every part of the Boulder and Denver areas) I really enjoyed the campus and the surroundings. We shall see if I get in, the decision isn't due for another couple weeks, but what can you do. I am headed to Seattle for a break from school traveling for a few days and then on my way to Chicago. I was accepted to Madison so I will definitely be trekking up there to visit next week, hopefully the weather stays above freezing.

Anyway, I must depart, I've been in the business room for an hour and I must use the facilities, this time, however, I think I know where I'm going.

If my stories offended you in anyway, you weren't entertained today, or you just read these because of a deep hatred for me let me know so I can mold this to irritate you even more.

-BK

P.S happy birthday to Andrew, I wish I could be 3 again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found a source of internet, I was worried about your survival without it! If you end up there, maybe I'll fly in for a Wings/Avs game, sport the McCarty jersey and stir it up a bit!! Enjoy Seattle, get some Starbucks, but always remember you roots...Bleed green and white!

The Legend said...

Wings/Avs??? What sport is that you speak of??