Monday, April 6, 2009

And now, I'm gone...

In less than 12 hours I'll be headed to New Jersey for a 3 hour layover en route to Lisbon to begin a journey of challenges, enlightenment, highs, and (hopefully minimal) lows. This was an extremely busy week filled with more goodbyes, attempts to pack, and thoughts racing through my mind. On Friday night there was a going away party, to all who were there thank you, it meant a lot. For the second time in my life I had a going away party, one was when I left my job at the Tigers and in both instances more people showed up than I could ever imagine. Makes me wonder, do people genuinely like and appreciate me or just love to see me leave. Just kidding, who doesn't love me. Over the weekend the final four commenced and although the final game result wasn't what I hoped for, the entire experience meant a lot to me. I've been to every major pro sporting event, but the environment, the Saturday game, and most importantly a weekend spent with my dad before I go puts it near the top.

And now here I am, a little more than 12 hours to go before heading off on the journey of a lifetime. I've had many mental ups and downs throughout the day including a solid case of IBS. I woke up with a terrified feeling of how real this is about to be. I think with the final four, and consistently being busy for the past 2 months I haven't had a day to truly grasp the concept of my journey. As the day went on and the shock began to wear off I became more comfortable with what lies ahead. As I spoke to people throughout the day and said more and more goodbyes I realized this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. From the beginning I'll be doing something I wouldn't have envisioned doing as little as 6 months ago. Life takes you on many small journeys that you can't control, but I finally know the ones you have the opportunity to create yourself shouldn't even be questioned.

I purchased a book of mainly poetry by singer/songwriter Ryan Adams for my journey, I've only read the foreword, but it's an explanation of why I enjoy writing.

"Once in a life, if a person chooses to go through these things, then maybe the act of writing them down could be a gift, so that others might know that should they suffer their romancers or their love of things, they're not alone."

As much as I want people to read what I'm doing, if you can take something out of this with me, the trip can only mean more. One of the greatest compliments I ever received was 5 years ago when someone randomly stumbled upon an old blog of mine and sent me an email telling me they never knew people felt the same in certain aspects of life. You just never know what is out there.

I'm very comfortable with my decision to take this chance, today went by slowly, but in a good way. The whole picture slowed down and now there's little to do, but get ready to step on that plane. I'm all packed (yet don't really know if it's too much or too little yet), have my travel books, notes, and information from those who have experienced firsthand traveling printed or memorized. I know I'll have forgotten something, probably minor that I won't even notice for a week, but I'm sure Europe can sell me whatever I lack. I bought my ticket to the Counting Crows concert in Dublin, no clue if I'll be able to make it there or not, but why not go for it.

I arrive in Lisbon 8:20 a.m on Thursday April 9th. No idea what time that is in other parts in the world, but that's when it all officially begins. Tomorrow will be a day full of flying, probably recycling many nervous thoughts in my mind throughout the day. I figure since I can barely sleep at home, the plane ride won't be much better. I intend on hitting the ground running, go to the hostel and begin seeing all that I can see. It probably won't be a late night, but no use getting off to a slow start. From Lisbon I'll head to Spain, then France, Amsterdam, Germany, and depending on timing places like Prague, Vienna, Switzerland, other parts of southern France, or Dublin will be explored. I finish in Italy and Greece, when I fly home May 27th.

I'll leave you with a picture of what I look like as I take on the world and go off the leash...



Maybe my face will age, maybe the 2 month beard and long hair will make me look like Donnie Whalberg in Saw IV, or maybe I'll just come back lookin the same, but I can't envision things being the same again.

I will try to be as honest as possible with events in the blog, so for those adults like my parents who aren't sure if they should be reading at certain points, maybe I'll throw in a disclaimer.  Not that there's anything wrong with doin drugs, hookers, and sleepin on the street.  

I asked the magic eight ball if this will be the best experience of my life, the response "It is certain."

Email me at BK5000@gmail.com, leave comments, or read silently, but I hope you enjoy yourselves as much as I.  

-BK

4 comments:

Brooke said...

You know I'll be reading! Bon voyage!

Unknown said...

You're the man. Get me the stein and i'll pay for the shipping.

srk521 said...

I'll miss you beekers but you will certainly keep me entertained at work! Have an AMAZING time!

Unknown said...

and magic eight ball never lies.