Wednesday, April 1, 2009

One week to go

The goodbyes have begun, the anxiety levels have rapidly increased, and the amount of time originally free of obligations now throbs for extra minutes. This time next week I'll be panicking on a plane wondering if skipping Passover Seder was really worth flying to Europe for. Just kidding about that part, but foreign languages, unfamiliar transportation, and being alone for 2 months with only my thoughts (the scariest of all) may be crossing my mind over the Atlantic. I'm still not packed, but have taken a trip around the neighborhood with 20 pounds of weights loaded into a backpack. I've come up with a list of the top 4 hostels per city that I will attempt to stay at, and come up with a rough sketch of things I'd like to see in each city. I have become more fearful of the limited amount of time I have to see everything I want. On paper the idea of 13 cities in 50 days sounds fantastic, but train times, sites, day trips, the people, the costs, and the truly unknown may shrink the list. I want to see as much as possible, but I want to prevent the trapped and structured feeling that I have to see certain things or go to certain cities before the end.

There are only two definite places, Lisbon because I start there and Athens because I fly home from there. The goal is to see definitely see the following cities in addition to those two: Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Rome. With those cities I hope to have at least one day trip to a nearby smaller town while visiting that particular area.

Additional cities at the top of my list include: Dublin, Venice, Florence, Prague, Vienna. These cities are also part of the main plan and may include day trips themselves. They are up there on the high priority list and if the rarity of plans actually seems to sail smoothly these all should be destinations at some point.

Additional cities and places I'd like to/would consider venturing to based on time, people I've met with, and mood of the day: Interlaken, Greek Isles, Sevilla, Nice.

I believe some cities that don't appear above will be added, while others disappear from all lists as the trip continues. My want to explore different styles of European life, escape certain areas, try the suggested food of an obscure small town, or following the path of a cute girl I met at a hostel (kidding, probably) will all factor into the final outline.

I've begun the process of toughening up my thoughts, preparing myself for challenges, and focusing on the task ahead. It's not that I don't think I can survive, but I feel in a situation like this I can be my best friend, worst enemy, and guide. Whether it's a coincidence or something more I'm the dude who has been able to use sports to help gain the proper tough mindset as the Michigan State basketball team with all their talk has helped mold my mind with a clearer look at the focus necessary to make things great. It may sound cheesy, but their run to the final four coinciding with my preparation has been a tremendous aid. Of course my final few days here could only be garnered perfect with the National Championship, but it's been an incredible journey that I'm glad I could take additional lessons.

Speaking of universities I have officially let the University of Wisconsin know they have a new student in fall 2009. I probably won't be able to find a place until June, move until August, or meet more than a few people til October, but it's what I had to do. I never heard from Maryland or Colorado, which doesn't bother me at all, helping me think I made the right decision.

As for the new design of this blog, I have received complaints that the white writing on black background has caused hallucinations and the ability to see my blog at all times during the day so I decided to be a man of the people and change it, but just this once. Depending on how many drugs I do in Amsterdam, however, the color scheme may change for my enjoyment (j slash k). Anyway, although this is another short entry, I don't envision getting used to them. I plan on extensive food reviews, city and sight reviews, the pontifications of Benjie Klein, and whatever else pops in my head. I'll mention this again next week in my final before I leave entry, but please email me while I am gone, BK5000@gmail.com. I will respond to you personally, however, I will not be initiating any email conversations, so if you want to talk to me drop me a line there or leave a comment here and if you need something I'll let you know.

Hope you all enjoy the new background if you complain again I hunt you down.

Benjamin Klein

No comments: